Ever had someone in the workforce that is a "negative-nancy"? Well these simple tips help you decide how to interact with those kinds of people as well as interact with yourself on a personal level to understand how to improve your own emotional intelligence and develop new skills to enhance them. Feel free to download this in PDF format to discuss with other employees or for your own self.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
· Ability to recognize and manage our own emotions.
· Relationships are critical in Emotional Intelligence.
· Your emotional intelligence can be developed or enhanced.
The Four Emotional Intelligence Domains
I. Self Awareness
· To accurately recognize emotions within oneself.
· Naming your emotions helps to be self-aware.
· Confidence in your own self-worth
How to build Self Awareness
· Journaling about your own feelings
· Focus on achievements instead of disappointments
· Identify and confront fears
· Reconcile relationships and past behaviors
· Ask for feedback from others
II. Self Management
· How to express emotions in an appropriate manner.
· Have emotional self control
How to build Self Management
· Journal about stressful situations and how you wan t to overcome them
· Challenge ourselves
· Consciously choose and verbally express and optimistic outlook on a project or situation.
· Practice “appreciative inquiry” (making the best of a situation).
III. Social Awareness
· Ability to understand others emotions and how we see how our emotions affect others.
How to build Social Awareness
· Improve listening skills
· Improve questioning skills
· Change framework on employees as customers
IV. Relationship Management
· Using awareness of your emotions to help others
· Inspirational leadership
· Ability to influence others
· Change catalyst – able to handle change
· Teamwork and collaboration
How to practice Relationship Management
· Read biographies of inspirational leaders
· Develop vision statements
· Celebrate successes of others
· Make team-building exercises a part of every staff meeting
o Ex.) Giving an index card to each peer or employee, have them write down one positive attribute about each peer or employee they work with in the office. Pass them to the leader and have them read them out loud without saying who wrote the positive attributes.
V. Developing Emotional Intelligence
· Ask more. Listen more.
o “God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. Use them in proportion to one another.”
VI. Resources to improve Emotional Intelligence for yourself and others
· EQ at work: www.eqatwork.com – information and Genos EQ assessment
· Learning in action: www.learninginaction.com – information and EQ in Relationship Assessment